Saturday, March 15, 2008

Science & Engineering: How raped our basics are..

Hi all,

There I was today, at Thermal Engineering class, and was sitting at the first bench, surprisingly paying attention to every uttered word (I desperately need better grades, and My Prof.(he's a genius, but sadly not the mad scientist types.That would have been cooler.) was just getting into the concepts of Refrigeration and Air Conditioning. So there he was lecturing about what tonnage actually is and what they mean by a one tonne capacity of air conditioners.

It kinda went along like this>>>>>>>

One tonne capacity of an air conditioner would mean that the amount of energy required to convert one tonne of ice at zero dergrees to water at the same temperature.

!#$%!#%%^ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZIPPPPP!#$!#%#%13

I awake immediately.."something wrong with this goddamit! "

q...3253125..@%24 ...352^&
(now that's me furiously thinking about what was wrong)

So i finally consult my buddies behind me and stop my Prof and ask him:

"Excuse me, but does the water, after melting from ice, still weighone tonne or does it weigh more or less? Shouldn't there be a difference in the weight because of the breakage in the intermolecular bond stuff? "

:) :) :) :) :) :)

(now that's me thinking I am very intelligent)

Until...

"No ! What's wrong with you today? Did you sleep enough last night? You seem to have lost it"

me thinking(with an open mouth):Huh??WTF?

Prof: "Law of conservation of mass man!"

Me: Errr...

Prof: "OK What weighs more? One kg of Steel or 1 kg of cotton"

A brief pause and me:"err they are both one kg right? It's the same"

Prof: "Yeah so what is your problem now? trouble cleared?"

Me thinking: Thank god I said it right..

Me: "Err...okay what about the weight???"

Me thinking:(Gotcha now sucker...)

Prof: "Fellow, Ice has the same weight as water even after melting.What is Weight?"

Me: "Err.."

Some Random SMart ass in class: " Mass into Acceleration Sir"

Me thinking :" Have i been saying "err " too much?

Prof : "Exactly , so even weight will be the same"

Me (now desperate): "But sir isn't tonne a unit of weight?"

Prof: "Man, tonne is a unit f mass like kilogram is"

Me:"aaaaaaaaaaah..."

Me thinking:Then why the hell did the newspaper say "the boat that capsized had cargo that weighed one tonne"....Idiots..

All Random Smart Asses In Class: HAHAHHAHAHHAHHA

........

Doesnt this make you think folks? Of course I admit I was a bit confused because of the intermolecular forces and stuff. So i didn't get it right. But I should have, atleast when he said "law of conservation of mass" ! Because the ice doesn't have any mass added to it or removed from it, so how can it's weight increase?

But this was the cake of it.

A friend of mine quickly ran out of class and asked another would-be mechanical enginner "what is heavier? one kg of Iron or one kg of Cotton?"

The intelligent soul actually said the iron would be heavier and more specifically
"why are you irritating me with such simple questions"

All I'm trying to say here is, what the hell is giong on with our basics? Where have they been raped? Why is it that I know the Law of Conservation of mass, but yet I still don't KNOW it??

Somewhere our education is being raped....WHERE????

Mr.Feynman..are you looking???


Cheers,
The Techmechanic....

Feel free to comment please :)

1 comment:

Krshna said...

oKAY I don't know if anyone can see this, or has seen it but this was what my friend commented on my blog:
"Sad, i mean your post, what are you trying to say?"

I first deleted the comment, I think i deleted it permanently again, and i regret it.

I want to ask you what your problem is, because you can go to someone else's blog and offer your unbelievably arrogant and "sad" criticism and skepticism.

And also how "sad" a person you must be if you go around reading "sad" posts all about blogger and telling them how "sad" they are.
What a "sad" waste of time!

Oh, you can catch him at

www.pluking.blogspot.com

Sorry for deleting your comment Venkat.

Cheers,
The Techmechanic